Approved for short-term ministry to Bihoro, Japan, in April 2012, Doug and Miriam completed their two-year internship in November 2015. They were approved as career missionaries in the December 2015 board meeting. They are currently stateside seeking both prayer and financial partnerships.
During their internship, Doug shared the preaching responsibilities at the Bihoro and Abashiri churches. He co-taught the adult English class at the Bihoro church. Miriam taught preschool English classes and interacted with the moms of the children. They also led a discipleship-focused Bible study in their home.
Doug was born in Ebetsu, Japan. He came to faith as a young child through the work of his parents, Dale and Sandra Bishop. He began to feel God calling him to missions while in college.
Miriam was born in Ayden, North Carolina, and lived in Greenville, North Carolina. She came to faith in the fifth grade after a special church service. At the age of 12, she felt God calling her to be a minister’s wife. In high school, she developed an interest in Japan as well as missions.
The couple has three children: Oliver, born October 24; Scarlet, born June 16; and Hazel, born January 12.
Doug: Koinonia FWB Church, Nopporo, Japan
Miriam: Unity FWB Church, Greenville, NC
Updated May 16 2017
- Pray for the Japanese church and Christians that God will empower them to reach friends, family and strangers with the Gospel.
- Pray that God will fill us with His Holy Spirit as we work to spread the Gospel in Japan.
- Ask the Lord to open doors for us to minister to the “least of these”: those in prison and orphans.
- Praise God for our financial and prayer partners.
- Pray for our return flight to the Japan on May 25th.
- Pray for Tomo and Haruka. Tomo’s family turned against him for becoming a Christian.
- Pray for our kids during these times of transition, and for them to continue to learn Japanese.