Heath and Joni Hubbard were approved as career missionaries in April 2010. They attended language school in the Sapporo area for the first two years of their term and worked in Miharashidai Chapel. The couple moved to Tokyo in 2015. They currently work with the Kamifukuoka Church, begun by Ken and Judy Bailey.
Heath, raised in minister’s home, was saved at the age of five. In the year 2000, he went to Brazil and, catching the vision for the Great Commission, saw the need to personally be involved in taking the gospel to the ends of the earth. Heath graduated from Welch College in 2006 with a degree in International Business.
Daughter of Danny and Bobbie Thomas, Joni accepted Christ as a five-year-old and, as the daughter of a full-time minister, grew up actively attending church. From an early age, Joni felt an interest in missions. She participated in two mission trips during her high school years. In 1997, she enrolled in Welch College and felt her calling to missions confirmed through her interaction with Missionaries-in -Residence, missions conferences, and a six-week trip to Côte d’Ivoire as part of the Go & Be team her senior year.
Heath served as a missionary in Kazakhstan for a year immediately following graduation from college in 2006. In 2008, he began working at Welch College as director of recruitment. He continued there until August 2010 when he and Joni began deputation ministry with Free Will Baptist International Missions.
Upon graduating college, Joni accepted the call to serve a two-year, short-term assignment in Japan. She taught English and worked with International Missions’ church plants in the Sapporo area. In July 2006, she began working as the student missions coordinator at FWBIM, coordinating the work of E-TEAM and CMP full time until her first child was born in November 2010. She continues to assist in coordinating the work of these programs on a volunteer basis.
Heath and Joni were married in November 2007. Together, they served as college ministry leaders at The Donelson Fellowship from 2008-2010.
The Hubbards have two sons and a daughter: Eli McKendry, born November 24; Micah Heath, born October 7; and Emma Kathlene, born August 28.
The Hubbards are members are The Donelson Fellowship in Nashville, Tennessee.
Although attached to Arkansas churches, Heath recognizes Fellowship FWB Church in Bryan, Texas, as his first home church.
Joni grew up in the First Free Will Baptist Church of Albany, Georgia.
Last Updated 3/31/2016
- Pray for us as we lead the Kamifukuoka Church as the pastor. Pray that we would lead effectively and that we would see people come to Christ and lives changed and that Christ would be glorified in our work here.
- Pray for the one-on-one Bible studies we are doing with some non-believers and one on one discipleship studies we are doing with 2 new Christians.
- Pray for Hope Alive, our English Bible study that takes place every other Saturday night. We have a good group of 4 or 5 non believers who have been coming for over a year and learning about God and His Word. Pray that they will come to Christ and the group will continue to grow.
- Pray for our English Classes, English discussion cafe, Mom’s and Babies English class, and Japanese Language class where we have many relationships and chances to share about Christ and invite these people to our churches and Bible Studies. Pray that we will be bold to share Christ!
- Pray for a continued ability to speak Japanese
- Pray for Eli, Micah, and Emma as they are in kindergarten and Pre-K at a Billingual school that God will give them strength to survive in a difficult environment. Pray also that we can be an effective witness to the teachers and parents at their school.