Jonathan and Amy were appointed as career missionaries to Bulgaria in December 2010. They arrived in Svishtov in February 2013, joining Tim and Lydia Awtrey in planting the New Life FWB Church.
Jonathan grew up with the Christian influence of immediate and extended family members serving in full-time ministry and missions. He accepted Christ’s gift of salvation at a youth camp in Missouri when he was seven years old. The Lord used a Go and Be missions trip to Côte d’Ivoire during Jonathan’s college years to give Him a burden to help take the gospel to those who have never heard.
Amy was also raised in a Christian family and, after recognizing her need to be saved from her sins, asked Christ to be her Savior at the age of five. Through the youth ministries of the Donelson Fellowship, the Lord challenged her to grow in a deeper relationship with Him. An E-TEAM trip to Cuba and the story of missionary Jim Elliot helped confirm God’s call to missions in Amy’s life.
After graduating from Welch College, Jonathan moved to Timmonsville, S. C., where he served as a youth pastor at Bethany FWB Church for five years. He then pastored First Free Will Baptist Church in Darlington for over three years. During his time in South Carolina, Jonathan was involved in the leadership of many statewide youth camps and retreats. It was also during this time that Jonathan married Amy and had the opportunity to attend seminary at Columbia International University.
Amy’s college years at Columbia International University gave her many opportunities to both learn about and be involved in cross-cultural ministry. She taught Bible clubs in an urban setting and participated in an international student ministry where God gave her many powerful opportunities to share the gospel and disciple new believers in one-on-one relationships. She has participated in ministry with her husband, teaching classes, leading Bibles studies, working with youth and children, and participating in music ministry.
They have two daughters: Anna Grace, born June 24, and Jonna, born August 6.
Jonathan—The Free Will Baptist Church in St. Croix, U.S.Virgin Islands
Amy—Bethlehem FWB Church in Ashland City, Tenn.
- Pray that in our own personal lives we would be fervently devoted to growing in God’s word and to prayer for what He is doing here in Bulgaria.
- Pray for our family to see steady progress in our language study.
- Pray for several formal and informal English teaching opportunities we are pursuing as a means of outreach.
- Pray that God would connect us to people in Pleven who are waiting to hear about him—including many members of society who are often neglected
- As we “lay foundations” for a new church, pray that God would give us wisdom regarding which steps we would take, the timing in which things should take place, and which opportunities for outreach we should pursue.
- Pray for growth in our relationships with people in our community and for opportunities to share love and truth in these relationships.